THE DOMAINE BERTAUD BELIEU
THE TASTING OF A WINE FROM THE DOMAINE BERTAUD BELIEU PLUNGES US INTO THE BEAUTIFUL HISTORY OF THE FIRST TROPEZIAN VINEYARD.
If the Romans developed the vine, the clergy and the nobility built the foundations of modern wine-producing Provence. The monks of the Chartreuse de la Verne contributed actively to the development of the Tropezian vineyards, on behalf of the Lord of Bertaud, whose vines spread over the entire peninsula. The Revolution of 1789 entrusted the destiny of the estate to the commune of Gassin, which later divided it up. At the end of the 19th century, the property shone with considerable prestige, with its vines, forests and orchards, which spread over three hundred hectares in the communes of Gassin, Ramatuelle and Saint-Tropez. It also stretches around the Belieu, a small river in the plain that originates in the Rouillère district of Ramatuelle.
The history of the lordship of Bertaud dates back to the 14th century. We find them in the archives of the Lords of Provence who mention a certain Annibal de Châteauneuf, Lord of Bertaud…
Five centuries later in 1864, Maurice Pessonneaux du Puget (1834-1905) and Philomène Thaneron de Bertaud (1839-1918), heiress of the Château and the Domaine de Bertaud, joined forces before reigning over their prestigious estate of three hundred hectares spread over the communes of the Saint-Tropez peninsula. Philomène inherited this estate from her ancestors Antiboul de Saint-Tropez: Jean Antiboul, lieutenant in the Admiralty of Fréjus acquired it in 1650 from François de Castellane, Marquis de Grimaud.
A DOMAIN OF AUTHENTIC LUXURY
The Bertaud's family also cultivated the precious silkworms and bred pedigree horses, the future mounts of the hussar regiments. A special luxury, the castle, topped by six towers with Moorish roofs, has a small railway station, but also a huge terrace whose stairs go directly down to the sea.
As the years go by, Louis, the son of Maurice and Philomène multiplies the expenses aggravated by a bad economic situation. Ruined, he was forced to sell part of his estate to his in-laws, who in turn sold it in 1912 to the French Torpedo Society. In 1989, Domaine Bertaud was attached to Domaine Belieu to give birth to a prestigious 65-hectare estate renowned for the quality of its rosé, red and white wines in the Côtes de Provence Protected Designation of Origin (AOP), rich in exceptional terroir and history.